Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter

Easter was such an amazing day. The sky was blue, the sun was shining. While I was getting ready for church, Dane made us waffles for breakfast! He does the maple syrup thing while I topped mine with peanut butter, a banana, and a drizzle of maple syrup...Delicious! We went to the 11:00 service at Journey Church and it was inspiring as usual. They have such an amazing band and the music just touches your soul. They had an artist on stage painting a beautiful picture while the pastor was talking about what Easter really means. After church, Dane & I stopped at the Co-Op for a coffee and then met Sissel (almost 6), Siri (4), and their Nana at SpringMeadows. It is an assisted living home where I work part-time. The girls are so kind and caring and wanted to deliver chocolate eggs to the residents on Easter. They were adorable and even scored an opera cd from Gloria who used to perform in New York City! Afterwards, we hurried home for the Lakers game and I did some food prep. At 3:30 I went to pick up the girls and we spent the afternoon dying glitter easter eggs, having dinner, frozen yogurt sundaes, and then spent the last 30 min at the park with their pup, Buoy. It was such a fun day since we didn't have any family around to celebrate with. After dropping the girls off, it was time for "grown-up" food :o)

Dane had a marinated ribeye steak accompanied with shrimp, asparagus, and red peppers sauteed with garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes, balsamic vinegar, and a little pepper. I made an orzo pasta salad, veggie tray, and garlic mashed potatoes. Then we topped it all off with a homemade strawberry pie topped with whipped cream! OMG, we were stuffed!


Neely's Strawberry Pie from www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/neelys/neelys-strawberry-pie-recipe/index.html

I followed this recipe except I have used Martha Stewart's pate brisee pie crust recipe and I love it. It is a yummy, buttery, flaky crust that it pretty easy to make. (www.marthastewart.com/recipe/pate-brisee-pie-dough )

The orzo pasta salad was a perfect spring salad. I substituted the chick peas with mozzarella chunks and used vegetable broth instead of chicken. (www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/everyday-italian/orzo-salad-recipe/index.html )

Ok, I must get back to my paper so that I can get it finished. Working on a 12 pg research paper on the alternative therapies for cancer treatment and a paper/presentation on the Effects of soy on infants/children. Back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment