Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Spicy Vegetarian Chili

I got this recipe from Food Network courtesy of Emerille "Bam" Lagasse





INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 T canola oil
  • 1 1/2 c. chopped onion (I used 1/2 a medium onion since Dane isn't a big onion fan)
  • 1 c. chopped red bell peppers (I used one red and one orange bell pepper)
  • 2 T minced garlic (I used about 4 cloves)
  • 2-3 serrano peppers, stemmed, seeded and minced(I used 1 serrano and 1 hot red pepper)
  • 1 medium zucchini, ends cut off and chopped
  • 2 c. fresh corn kernals ( I used frozen)
  • 1 1/2 lbs portabello mushrooms - I left out because Dane doesn't like mushrooms :(
  • 2 T chili powder (I 1.5 T spicy version plus a little of Emeril's Southwest Essence)
  • 1 T ground cumin
  • 1 1/4 tsp salt (I left this out and it's perfect but I'm not a big salt person)
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne (left out because I used a spicy chili powder)
  • 4 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped (I left the peels on)
  • 3 c. cooked black beans ( Used 1 can black beans and 1 can kidney beans)
  • 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 1 c vegetable stock or water (I used 1.5 c. of veggie stock because I added extra beans and wheat berries)
  • 1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro leaves
  • Cooked brown rice (I cooked 1/2 c of wheat berries to add to chili)
  • Sr cream or strained plain yogurt (garnish)
  • Avocado (garnish)
  • Chopped green onions (garnish)
  • Sprinkle of crushed tortilla chips (garnish)
DIRECTIONS:


In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, garlic, and serrano peppers, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the zucchini, corn, and mushrooms, and cook, stirring, until soft and the vegetables give off their liquid and start to brown around the edges, about 6 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, salt and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and stir well. Add the beans, tomato sauce, and vegetable stock, stir well, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.

Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro (I just used it as a garnish because Dane isn't the biggest fan of cilantro) . Adjust the seasoning, to taste.

To serve, place 1/4 cup of brown rice in the bottom of each bowl (I had already added the wheat berries right into the chili). Ladle the chili into the bowls over the rice. Top each serving with a dollop of sour cream,spoonful of avocado, green onions, crushed tortilla chips and serve.

I loved this because it was filling and had lots of kick to it, not to mention all of the yummy veggies!!

No comments:

Post a Comment